- University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Harvard University, A.B.
- Staff Writer, Harvard Political Review; Staff Writer, Remix Magazine; Marvin C. Pittman Award for Outstanding and Most Dedicated Senior; Ron Brown Scholar; Jackie Robinson Scholar; National Merit/Achievement Scholar
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Julian focuses his litigation practice on a variety of civil litigation matters, including commercial litigation, general and pharmaceutical products liability matters, governmental matters, and appeals in state and federal court. He represents corporate clients in a variety of industries as well as several governmental entities.
Important Litigation Involvement
- Successfully represented a judicial candidate in residency qualification challenge before the Mississippi State Board of Election Commissioners.
- Terry v. McNeill, et al., U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (2015) Defended product liability action regarding Tylenol allegedly causing liver damage; resulted in defense verdict.
- Cavness v. Ethicon, Inc., et al., Dallas County, Texas (2015) Defended product liability action involving pelvic mesh; resulted in defense verdict.
- In the Matter of the Estate of Julia V. Borders, Deceased: Campbell v. Borders-Blackwell, No. 2012-0293, Chancery Court of the Second Judicial District of Bolivar County, Mississippi (2015) Successfully obtained dismissal of will contest on summary judgment.
- Borders-Blackwell, et al. v. Tutwiler, et al., No. 2010-0046, Chancery Court of the Second Judicial District of Bolivar County, Mississippi (2016) Successfully obtained $68,950.22 judgment on behalf of client in breach of contract claim.
- Conrod v. Southeastern Management Company, Inc., No. 2013-0364, Circuit Court of Sunflower County, Mississippi (2015) Successfully obtained summary judgment in premises liability matter.
- Eley v. W. Point Mississippi, No. 1:15-CV-00108-SA-DAS, 2017 WL 81781 (N.D. Miss. Jan. 9, 2017) Successfully obtained summary judgment dismissing a Section 1983, police excessive force, taser claim and precluding a potential $2 million liability for the city.
- Manfredi v. Harrell Contracting Grp., LLC, No. 2015-WC-00522-COA, 2016 WL 6963166 (Miss. Ct. App. 2016) Successfully obtained reversal of workers’ compensation decision on appeal that erroneously found a construction subcontractor and its insolvent insurance company as the employer/carrier for a severely injured claimant; makes way for client to be reimbursed for a $2 million liability.
- Barton et. al v. The Estate of Will Ellis Pittman, Sr., Deceased, By and Through Ivy Snider, Executrix of the Estate of Will Ellis Pittman, Sr., No. 2016-CA-01099-SCT, (Miss. 2017) Successfully represented lawyer clients in attorney fee contract dispute against the estate of their former employer; clients retained several hundred thousand dollars in attorneys’ fees as a result.
- Stringer v. North Bolivar Consolidated School District, et al., No. 17-60282 (5th Cir. 2018) Successfully obtained affirmance of the federal district court’s dismissal of all employment discrimination and American Disability Act claims of terminated principal on summary judgment.
- Served as special counsel to the Mississippi Department of Education and third chair in successful administrative licensure hearings for the state’s first major test cheating scandal.
- Served as lead counsel for Mississippi county in major ad valorem tax lawsuit by county taxpayers in the Mississippi Supreme Court.
- Served as lead counsel on behalf of consulting company client in employment status appeal against the Mississippi Department of Employment Security.
- Served as board attorney for North Bolivar Consolidated School District, representing the school board and managing all legal issues, including education law, administrative matters, public works, employment, financing, procurement, and litigation matters.
- Listed in National Black Lawyers, “Top 40 Under 40,” 2017
Law School Honors & Awards
- Phi Delta Phi
- Dean’s List
- Public Interest Law Foundation Scholar
- Public Interest Law Foundation
- Civil Legal Clinic
- Law Clerk, Mississippi Court of Appeals, Presiding Judge T. Kenneth Griffis, 2013 – 2014
- American Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Magnolia Bar Association
- Jackson Young Lawyers
- Capital Bar Association
- Mississippi College of Law, Education Law and Policy Clinic, Adjunct Professor
- Clutter 2 Compost Initiative, Co-founder and Co-Director, 2008-present
- Delta Fresh Foods Initiative, Co-Founder, Vice-Chairman, Board of Directors, Grants Coordinator, 2011-present
- Friends of the Environment, Board of Directors, 2008-present
- Region One Mental Health Center, Advisory Committee, 2008-present
- Mississippi Food Policy Council, Board of Directors, 2015-present
- Greater Jackson Arts Council, Board of Directors, 2016-Present
Pro Bono & Community Service
- Mississippi Center for Justice, Educational Opportunities Campaign, Pro Bono Counsel, 2015-present