- Mississippi College School of Law, J.D. (summa cum laude)
- University of Mississippi, B.A. Political Science
- Mississippi, 2004
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
In the game of litigation, the cards are never dealt fairly. Sometimes clients need someone who can sort out the facts, good or bad, and diligently search for new information which may result in a successful case. For many clients, Tanya Ellis is such a person. From point A to point Z, Tanya leaves no stone unturned as she digs for facts that may be critical to the outcome of the case and the well-being of her client. As a passionate attorney, she believes that a big part of her job is assessing risk for the client in order to help them make the best possible decision for their company. With the help of her colleagues, Tanya and her team are never short of ideas or motivation to unearth details and knowledge specific to a client's case, and ascertaining that her clients are 100% informed and satisfied. Humble yet determined, Tanya Ellis knows some things are out of her control but, as a relentless attorney and a hard-working mom, she knows that this never excuses hesitation.
Important Litigation Involvement
- Defended multiple public nuisance and environmental exposure claims centered on a wood products facility. Tanya cross-examined the opposing expert epidemiologist at a Daubert hearing, resulting in exclusion of the expert and dismissal of the cases. She successfully defended the appeal of the dismissals before the Seventh Circuit. Pecher, et al. v. Owens-Illinois, Inc., 859 F.3d 396 (7th Cir. 2017).
- Trial experience, including seven day, federal court jury trial resulting in a verdict in favor of the client, which included punitive damages and attorney fees. The verdict and fee award were upheld by the Fifth Circuit. See Ill. Cent. R.R. Co. v. Guy, 682 F.3d 381 (5th Cir. 2012). The U.S. Chamber of Commerce awarded Forman Watkins with the Institute for Legal Reform’s Award for Outstanding Organization, in part, for its efforts in this case.
- Coordinates the national asbestos defense of multiple Fortune 500 companies, developing defense strategy, negotiating settlements, litigating cases, and ensuring the efficient defense of all matters.
- Counsel for national railroad company in FELA cases filed in Mississippi, including litigation, trial, and appellate work.
- Litigated more than 1,500 claims of exposure to dioxin, pentachlorophenol and creosote, achieving a very favorable outcome for the client.
- Successfully represented oil and gas company in more than 70 cases filed by residents who lived near a well site and claimed injury from exposure to hydrogen sulfide.
News & Knowledge
- November 5, 2019
2019 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising StarsRead More
- August 15, 2019
FormanWatkins Attorneys Recognized in 2020 Edition of Best Lawyers®Read More
- November 30, 2018
FormanWatkins Announces 2018 Mid-South Super LawyersRead More
- August 22, 2018
FormanWatkins Attorneys Recognized in 2019 Edition of Best LawyersRead More
- November 29, 2017
FormanWatkins Announces 2017 Mid-South Super LawyersRead More
- July 17, 2017
Seventh Circuit Affirms DismissalRead More
- November 8, 2016
FormanWatkins Announces 2016 Mid-South Super LawyersRead More
- August 3, 2016
Join Our Speakers at Perrin Conferences’ Asbestos Litigation ConferenceRead More
- January 5, 2016
Tanya Ellis & Benton York Obtain Big Win at the Mississippi Supreme CourtRead More
- November 9, 2015
FW&K Announces 2015 Mid-South Super LawyersRead More
- Selected to Mid-South Rising Stars (2010-2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- Selected as one of PORTICO Jackson’s 2012 PORTICO 10
- Selected as one of Mississippi’s 2017 50 Leading Business Women by the Mississippi Business Journal
- The Best Lawyers in America® since 2019: Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
Law School Honors & Awards
- Herrin-Hess Scholar
- Law Review
- Moot Court Board
- The Mississippi Bar
- Fifth Circuit Bar Association
- Hinds County Bar Association
- Jackson Young Lawyers, Board of Directors
- Mississippi Women Lawyers Association
Pro Bono & Community Service
- Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project
- Mississippi Center for Justice
- Post-Katrina Legal Assistance
- Stewpot Community Services Legal Clinic