- Millsaps College, B.A., Spanish, cum laude
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University, Bachelor in Civil Law Studies (B.C.L.)
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University, J.D.
- Louisiana, 2002
- Mississippi, 2003
- Texas, 2009
- Supreme Court of Mississippi
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, & Western Districts of Louisiana
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Charles sat in on his first deposition when he was 10 years old with his father, a well-respected litigator, and has been hooked ever since. Since that time, he has held himself to a strong standard of excellence and a tireless work ethic. Charles understands that not every client defines a "win" the same way, so he works diligently to find personalized "wins" for each case that comes through his door. Driven by the refusal to be unprepared and outworked, Charles offers his clients a sense of security that their business is important and deserves a strongly committed advocate who can create personalized legal strategies. Handling cases in all sorts of practice areas, Charles deals with anything that can go to trial and offers a fierce yet fair competitive spirit to every case. Well rounded in the law and in his hobbies of fishing, hunting, golfing, and family, Charles is a huge asset to clients who want thorough representation and peace of mind.
Charles joined the firm in 2017 as a partner and previously has been, and continues to be, retained as lead counsel or co-counsel on cases in very diverse practice areas. He routinely serves as lead counsel/co-counsel on significant, high-dollar commercial, contractual, business interruption, tort, admiralty/maritime, products liability, construction, and toxic tort cases pending in both federal and state courts throughout Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.
Important Litigation Involvement
- Liaison counsel on behalf of a Fortune 100 client in a putative class action involving allegations of improper endoscope sterilization pending in Orleans Parish, Louisiana
- Lead counsel on behalf of a world leader of building materials in breach of contract disputes pending in state court in Louisiana
- Co-lead counsel representing several Fortune 100 clients in alleged benzene exposure cases pending in both Federal and State courts of Louisiana
- Lead counsel representing a Fortune 100 client in alleged benzene and butadiene exposure cases pending throughout state courts in Texas
- Lead counsel on behalf of another Fortune 100 client in a slip and fall at the client’s chemical facility pending in Federal Court for the Southern District of Mississippi
- Lead counsel in numerous products liability matters throughout the state of Louisiana
- Lead counsel representing a Fortune 500 client in alleged asbestos exposure case involving over 1,500 plaintiffs in state court in Louisiana
- National coordinating counsel on behalf of a Fortune 100 client and its subsidiaries in connection with their silica exposure litigation.
News & Knowledge
- December 19, 2019
2020 Louisiana Super Lawyers and Rising StarsRead More
- November 4, 2019
FormanWatkins Attorneys Named to 2019 Top Lawyers List by New Orleans MagazineRead More
- February 22, 2019
Abbott Selected by New Orleans CityBusiness to 2019 Leadership in Law ClassRead More
- January 2, 2019
2019 Louisiana Super Lawyers and Rising StarsRead More
- October 30, 2018
Charles Abbott Selected as a 2018 Top Lawyer by New Orleans MagazineRead More
- October 5, 2018
Abbott and Maccherone Win Summary Judgment on Behalf of Fortune 500 ClientRead More
- April 24, 2018
Charles Abbott Guest Lecturer for LSU Law School’s Toxic Torts ClassRead More
- March 9, 2018
Charles Abbott and Chelsea Gaudin Guest Lecture at LSU Law SchoolRead More
- March 6, 2018
Charles Abbott Selected as “One to Watch” by New Orleans CityBusiness MagazineRead More
- December 27, 2017
Louisiana Super Lawyers Announced for 2018Read More
- November 8, 2017
Abbott & Kitchens Win Early Defense Victory for National Power Tools ManufacturerRead More
- November 7, 2017
Charles Abbott Selected as 2017 Top Lawyer by New Orleans MagazineRead More
- April 10, 2017
FormanWatkins Expands its New Orleans Office with the Addition of Three Partners—Charles Abbott, Byron Kitchens, and Amy MaccheroneRead More
- Selected to Louisiana Super Lawyers (2011-2012, 2014-2020)
- Selected to Louisiana Super Lawyers, Top 50 in Louisiana (2018, 2020)
- Selected to Louisiana Super Lawyers, Top 50 in New Orleans (2018-2020)
- Selected to New Orleans CityBusiness “Leadership in Law” Class (2014, 2019)
- Selected as a Top Lawyer for Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions by New Orleans Magazine (2017-2019)
- Selected as “One to Watch” by New Orleans CityBusiness (2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- Martindale-Hubbell® Gold Client Champion Rating
- The Judge John C. Boutall American Inn of Court
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Member of Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
- Member of Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel – Frequent Lecturer
- Member of DRI- The Voice of the Defense Bar
- Chair of DRI Technology Committee (2008-2010)
- Vice Chair of DRI Technology Committee (2007-2008)
- DRI Damages Program Steering Committee (2007)
- DRI Trial Tactics Steering Committee (2007-2012)
- Member of Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
- Before joining FormanWatkins, Charles was a partner with Cotten Schmidt & Abbott in its New Orleans office. His practice areas were consistent with the same diverse practice that Mr. Abbott is currently involved.
- “Salient Issues Regarding Electronic Discovery.” Presented to Louisiana Judicial College, December 7, 2007.
- “Salient Issues Regarding Electronic Discovery.” Presented to Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel, December 7, 2007.
- “Products, Dangerous Devices, and Advancements in Causation Analysis in Toxic Tort Cases.” Presented to Louisiana Judicial College, December 5, 2008.
- “Products, Dangerous Devices, and Advancements in Causation Analysis in Toxic Tort Cases.” Presented to Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel, December 5, 2008.
- “How to Use Technology for a Defense Win in a Tough Venue.” Presented to DRI Regional Meeting in Perdido
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University, Guest Lecturer, Toxic Torts Class, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2018.
- “Emerging Jurisdictions: Louisiana,” Asbestos Litigation Conference, Perrin Conferences, San Francisco, California, September 2017
- “Handling Expert Witnesses in Discovery,” Chapter 12 of A Young Lawyer’s Guide to Defense Practice. The DRI Defense Library Series, 2006.
- “Handling Expert Witnesses in Discovery,” Chapter 13 of A Young Lawyer’s Guide to Defense Practice. The DRI Defense Library Series, 2015.
- “Using Technology in the Courtroom,” August 24, 2009, Volume 1, Issue 3, DRI Toxic Tort and Environmental Law Committee Newsletter.
Pro Bono & Community Service
- Board Member (Past), Men’s Club, St. Paul’s Episcopal School
- Vice President (Past), Men’s Club, St. Paul’s Episcopal School
- Assistant Bar Examiner for the Committee on Bar Admissions of the Supreme Court of Louisiana