May 4, 2021
FormanWatkins Launches Diversity Pipeline Program
FormanWatkins is proud to announce our Diversity Pipeline Program, a three and a half day Program for Tougaloo College students interested in pursuing a career as a civil litigator. Our Jackson team hosted Clifford Benton, Ayanna Hill, and Tia Patrick in April for the 2021 Program. The students attended seminars to provide an overview of “firm life.” The Program included an overview of civil litigation and the Firm’s practice areas, along with discussions regarding the Firm’s pro bono, recruiting, and diversity & inclusion committees. The Tougaloo students were given a research assignment and each prepared a written memorandum of their findings. They were also provided attorney mentors during the Program to facilitate discussions and to help with the research assignment. The Program concluded with the Tougaloo students participating in a Zoom hearing live in federal court before Judge Carlton Reeves. Our collective goal was to provide the students an up close experience as to what life might be like as a civil litigator, and to gain an appreciation for working in a formal law firm setting. The students were smart, enjoyable, and demonstrated a true eagerness to learn more about the legal profession. FormanWatkins and Tougaloo plan to continue the Program next year and hope that it creates lasting relationships with the students. Clifford, Ayanna, and Tia are part of the Reuben V. Anderson Pre-Law Program at Tougaloo College under the direction of Jackson Attorney, Julian Miller.
More about FormanWatkins' Diversity Pipeline Program
Program Eligibility Requirements:
- Members of a group traditionally underrepresented in law school and the legal industry;
- Not currently enrolled in law school;
- Currently enrolled as a junior or senior at Tougaloo College with a minimum GPA of 3.5; and
- A Mississippi resident preferred but not required.
FormanWatkins Diversity Pipeline Program includes:
- Civil litigation legal education seminar;
- Panel of attorneys to answer questions regarding life as a civil litigator;
- Attorney shadowing opportunities during meetings, court appearances and/or depositions;
- Networking with practicing attorneys and current law students;
- Stipend of $1,000; and
- Mentorship during and after the program
For more information about or an application to participate in FormanWatkins Diversity Pipeline Program, please contact Holland Familia, Director of Marketing & Recruiting, via email, email@example.com.