- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- The George Washington University, B.S.
- New York, 1986
- New Jersey, 1993
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, Northern and Western Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals
Thirty years of litigation experience, strong knowledge of the field, good relationships with judges and attorneys in the practice, and a work ethic centered on preparation that never leaves him surprised in court. These are just some of the factors that make Tom Toman a respected and trustworthy attorney in the fields of asbestos litigation and employment law. As an Assistant District Attorney in Manhattan for over twelve years, Tom built a strong record of success with New York juries and then continued on to be successful in civil litigation with reported cases in federal district court and before the New Jersey Supreme Court. Tom demonstrates a work ethic that doesn't believe in short cuts. Clients can expect excellent preparation and hard work from Tom, plus a level of confidence in representation provided by an experienced and thorough trial attorney.
Important Litigation Involvement
- Community Hospital Group v. More, 183 N.J. 36 (2005) and Pierson v. Medical Health Centers, 183 N.J. 65 (2005); Labor and Employment – Appeared at Supreme Court as Amicus counsel for the major state hospital organization in New Jersey in cases upholding restrictive covenants as to doctors.
- Camden Board of Education v. Alexander, 181 N.J. 187 (2004); Labor and Employment – Appeared at Supreme Court on behalf of one of the largest school boards in New Jersey and successfully defended their termination of fifteen union janitors.
- White v. Camden Board of Education, 251 F.Supp.2d 1242 (D.N.J. 2003); Labor and Employment – Appeared in federal district court and obtained summary judgment on behalf of a large New Jersey school board in a case with claims of age discrimination under the ADEA.
- People v. Frost, 100 NY2d 129 (2003); Criminal Law – Obtained conviction at trial in criminal case eventually affirmed by Court of Appeals setting new standard from the protection of the identity of prosecution witnesses.
News & Knowledge
- April 20, 2023
FormanWatkins Pro Bono Initiative Hits 5-Year MarkRead More
- May 22, 2019
Toman and Diesa Win Summary Judgment in Asbestos LitigationRead More
- April 4, 2019
Update on the Spring Veterans Legal Clinic in New JerseyRead More
- December 11, 2018
Update on the Veterans’ Legal Clinic in New JerseyRead More
- November 12, 2018
FormanWatkins is a Proud Participant of Veterans Legal Clinic at Monmouth University in New JerseyRead More
- August 31, 2018
FormanWatkins Promotes Experience of Labor & Employment Practice Group in Recognition of Labor DayRead More
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Monmouth County Bar Association
- Sidney Reitman Inn of Court
- Speaker, Harris Martin’s Asbestos Litigation Conference, “Foreign and Military Sources of Non-Traditional Alternative Exposure,” New Brunswick, New Jersey, June 13, 2022
- Demonstration, Harris Martin’s New Jersey Asbestos Litigation Conference, “Mock Trial of a Cosmetic Talc Mesothelioma Case, Direct of Defendant’s Expert,” New Brunswick, New Jersey, February 14, 2018
- Demonstration, Harris Martin’s New Jersey Asbestos Litigation Conference, “ Mock Trial of a Smoking Lung Cancer Case, Direct of Defendant’s Expert,” New Brunswick, New Jersey, February 24, 2017
- Speaker, Harris Martin’s New Jersey Asbestos Litigation Conference, “Federal Preemption and Removal,” New Brunswick, NJ, February 27, 2015
Pro Bono & Community Service
- Organizer, Monmouth Bar Association, Monmouth County Veterans information and Resources Clinic, Monmouth University, Long Branch, New Jersey, November 2, 2019
- Organizer, Monmouth Bar Association, Monmouth & Ocean County Veterans information and Resources Clinic, James J. Howard Outpatient Clinic, Brick Township, New Jersey, March 30, 2019
- Organizer, Monmouth Bar Association, Monmouth County Veterans information and Resources Clinic, Monmouth University, Long Branch, New Jersey, November 17, 2018
- Attorney Advisor for Red Bank Catholic High School Mock Trial team, 2010 to 2015
- Assistant District Attorney, Trial Division, New York County, 1985 to 1998
- Trial and Appellate experience in federal and state court representing New Jersey municipalities, school boards and corporations in labor and employment matters
- Litigation experience in products liability, commercial liability, and insurance coverage for several insurance companies and corporations