- South Texas College of Law, J.D.
- University of Dallas, Master of English
- Baylor University, B.A. English
- Foreign language: Spanish (conversant)
- Texas, 1995
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
For Patrice, the harder the challenge, the better. Each day she relishes in the opportunity to answer a difficult legal question, and no issue is too intricate. Having done some work on the plaintiff side, as well, Patrice has the ability to look at a case from several different angles, offering her clients perspective that can help them develop a creative, solid defense. Patrice handles her cases
with thoroughness and precision from start to finish, which helps her clients solve their present problem and prepare for a prosperous future. To her, a simple word can make all the difference when defending a client, and Patrice makes it her goal to represent her clients well with every word she writes or speaks. With Patrice, clients can expect to work with a smart and dedicated attorney who loves the Packers and her job.
Important Litigation Involvement
- Represented major oil companies, chemical companies, and product manufacturers for more than 15 years in hundreds of premises liability, product liability, and wrongful death claims relating to toxic exposures and premises liability on local and regional levels.
- Secured voluntary dismissal of industrial services client in chemical exposure case brought by leukemia claimant asserting $5M in damages after summary judgment motion based on medical causation was filed.
- Forced nominal settlement of benzene products liability claim brought by cancer patient with six-figure damage claim after aggressive fact investigation and summary judgment motions were filed.
- Obtained summary judgment for client in multi-million-dollar chemical exposure case involving more than 100 claimants and various cancer-related malignancies; summary judgment was based on medical causation under Daubert standard.
- Presented oral argument to federal Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and Texas Courts of Appeals in Houston and Beaumont.
- Successfully decertified a class action involving homeowner property damage in Brazoria County. Texas Department of Transportation v. Barrier, 40 S.W.3d 153 (Tex. Ct. App. 2000).
- Successfully defended insurance carrier in appeal addressing the construction of Texas Labor Code section 410.205. Lopez v. Texas Workers’ Compensation Insurance Fund, 11 S.W.3d 490 (Tex. Ct. App. 2000).
- Successfully defended objections to overbroad requests for production by securing a mandamus opinion reversing the trial court’s order compelling discovery. In re Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Co., No. 09-98-0095-CV, 1998 WL 241221 (Tex. Ct. App. 1998).
- Handled a first impression appeal involving the construction of Texas Administrative Code Title 28, section 130.8. Texas General Indemnity Co. v. Eisler, 981 S.W.2d 744 (Tex. Ct. App. 1998).
News & Knowledge
- President’s Award, Houston Bar Association, 2005
- Outstanding Legal Article, Houston Bar Foundation, 1996
- State Bar of Texas, Litigation and Appellate Practice Sections
- State Bar of Texas Committee on Pattern Jury Charges, 2000-2001
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Lawyer Magazine – Editor-in-Chief, Associate Editor and Editorial Board
- Co-author and Presenter, “Texas Supreme Court Update: Cases and Trends in 2012,” CLE for the Stonewall Law Association of Greater Houston
- Author and Presenter, “Expert Witness Liability,” State Bar of Texas, Advanced Expert Witness Course Co-author, “Court’s Charge – Minefield Approach,” State Bar of Texas, Litigation Update Institute
- Co-author, “Rule 42 Class Actions: Recent Developments,” CLE Paper for State Bar of Texas, Advanced Personal Injury Law Course
- “Texas Supreme Court Update,” The Appellate Advocate, 2002-present
- “Bostic v. Georgia-Pacific: The Texas Supreme Court Extends and Refines Substantial Factor Causation,” Harris Martin: Columns, August 2014
- “Bostic v. Georgia-Pacific: The Texas Supreme Court Extends and Refines Substantial Factor Causation,” Mealey’s™ Litigation Report, Asbestos, August 2014
- “Changes in the Litigation Landscape: New Laws from the 2011 General Session,” The Houston Lawyer, Nov/Dec 2011
- “Texas Legislature Hammers Out Massive Tort Reform Bill” and “Significant Session: Other Historic Measures in the State Legislature,” The Houston Lawyer, July/August 2003
- “After the Session Ends: New Legislation in Texas,” The Houston Lawyer, July/August 2001
- “Class Actions After Bernal,” The Advocate, Fall 2000
- “Health Care Fraud,” The Houston Lawyer, July/August 1995
Pro Bono & Community Service
- Stonewall Law Association of Greater Houston
- President (2014-15)
- Vice President (2013-14)
- Secretary (2011-13)
Law School Honors & Awards
- American Jurisprudence Award – Appellate Advocacy
- Best Team, Spurgeon Bell Moot Court Competition
- Second-Best Brief Award, Spurgeon Bell Moot Court Competition
- National Champions, William F. Starr Insurance Law Moot Court
- Second-Best Brief Award, William F. Starr Insurance Law Moot Court